Friday 19 July 2013

Policies On Policies


I have had the pleasure of working at Sonke Gender Justice Network for the past couple weeks. I have to admit, when I was first assigned to this NGO, I was a bit apprehensive. I knew absolutely nothing about gender issues and I was concerned about how my contributions would actually help South Africans. Before I came here, when I thought about working at an NGO in Africa, I immediately would picture working in destitute area with sick, hungry children. For some reason that was the only issue that would come to mind and thus the only situation I would imagine working in when I finally arrived. However, working at Sonke has opened my eyes a variety of macro level issues that are essential to address if South Africa wants to successfully combat HIV.
 
During my preliminary research of Sonke, I learned that the organization’s vision was “a world in which men, women and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies….it works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to support men and boys in taking action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence, and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.” I had absolutely no idea what this would mean in terms of helping combat the HIV epidemic and how gender issue were effecting the country. It wasn’t until I started working on my project and interacting with locals that I truly understood the significance of gender issues in t
he country.
 
My task during the six weeks was to develop policy reports on South Africa, Rwanda, Uganda, Sierra Leone, and Zambia. In these reports I would have to analyze major policies in the country that addressed engaging men in sexual reproductive health and rights. When I was first assigned the task I wondered why engaging men was so important if male dominance was a cultural norm. As I continued to learn more about the HIV epidemic through class and reading books such as Debunking Delusions, I was able to fully comprehend the magnitude of the work I was doing. Notions of what it means to be a man or woman often discourage individuals from seeking health care services. The current gender norms often encourage high risk and negative behavior that increases both men and women’s vulnerability to HIV and other health issues. If men don’t go to the clinic because they don’t want to look “weak”, they will not learn their HIV status and can infect multiple partners before learning that they are carrying the virus. Thus addressing gender inequalities in policy can improve the health of both women and men.
 
While reading health policies and learning about the epidemic I have come to realize that HIV is not as black and white as what I had once believed. There are so many more complexities involved that all contribute to the growing disease. Prevention, treatment, testing, and counseling strategies are constantly evolving to adapt to the country and more importantly the people. Working at Sonke and being able to interact with people in the community have truly allowed me to understand the intricacy of HIV and how so much has been accomplished and yet so much still needs to be done. 

-Anita Patel 

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Sam has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.Sam for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much, friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. Sam THANKS.

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr. Sam and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. Sam telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man a few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am nowhere to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experienced a total transformation in my life, for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has been rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all, you can contact him. (Supremecurehome@gmail.com) Website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS.
    HERPES.
    SYPHILIS.
    HEPATITIS A B and C.

    Email: Supremecurehome@gmail.com Or WhatsApp number +2347087462033

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete