Friday 19 July 2013

Fighting AIDS Denialism



A political cartoon of Mdlala-Routledge's firing.
Many parts of South African politics have played and continue to play a role in the HIV epidemic, but two major components are health activism and HIV denialism. These two aspects are closely related in that during the time of Thabo Mbeki’s presidency, health activism was in part a response to the HIV denialism proposed by the government. There was one specific incidence during Mbeki’s presidency where his denialism and rejection of health activism came back to haunt him and contributed to the end of his presidency. This was when he fired Nozizwe Madlala-Routledge, Tshabalala-Msimang’s (the health minister at the time) deputy. During the time when Tshabalala-Msimang needed a liver transplant, Madlala-Routeledge took advantage of her absence and began working closely with the TAC to support the improvement of the national strategic plan (NSP). In an interview with the New Yorker, she claimed that Tshabalala-Msimang had prevented her from speaking about AIDS and brought light onto how the government was censoring those who had different ideas on AIDS. These public statements made by Mdlala-Routledge greatly contradicted the health minister’s and the president’s views on HIV and AIDS and their denialism about HIV. It was because of these statements that Mbeki fired Madlala-Routledge and attempted to remove any opposition to his position on HIV and AIDS. Mbeki gave bogus reasons for firing Madlala-Routledge and this in combination with the TAC’s support to expose Mbeki’s unfairness made Madlala-Routledge an icon for standing up against Mbeki and Tshabalala-Msimang and standing up for AIDS. This incident took place near the ANC elections and it’s speculated that this abuse of power in combination with his waning popularity is what made him lose the election to Jacob Zuma.
It’s difficult to know how exactly this event affected the HIV epidemic and whether its help of ousting Mbeki was the turning point in the AIDS denialism and the progress in rolling out ARVs. It can only be speculated as to how long it would have taken to diminish the AIDS denialism and convince the government to expand the ART programs if Mbeki hadn’t lost to Zuma. The ANC had just made large progress in improving the NSP in and having the final draft, with the goals of having 1.5 million people on treatment by 2011, halving the new HIV cases by the same year and reducing mother to child transmission to 5%, be approved by the cabinet in 2007 .  It’s clear that the ANC and its role in health activism was moving forward and gaining some ground within the government despite Mbeki’s denialism. Rather than contributing to tarnishing Mbeki’s reputation, Mdlala-Routledge had a larger impact by becoming a symbol of someone who stood up to Mbeki and Tshabalala-Msimang. She became another face of health activism and a face for those who needed hope in order to deal with having HIV and waiting for treatment. Mdlala-Routledge was different from a face of the TAC like Mathathi and Heywood because she was in the ANC and was Tshabalala-Msimang’s deputy. She was someone whose thoughts were censored and suppressed as those who had suffered from apartheid had been.
A TAC march to parliament to demand access to treatment.
There’s no way to know which of the HIV positive people waiting for treatment at that time were coloured or black Africans that had been through apartheid and experienced a form of control and censorship, but Mdlala-Routledge’s suppression could have been a common ground that helped gain more support for her stance on AIDS as well as for the TAC. The TAC was fighting the government along with those waiting for treatment, but had much more power to make changes, where Mdlala-Routledge risked her job and lost it in order to stand up to Mbeki and fight for the right to treatment for those who needed it. She was in a much more vulnerable position like those who needed treatment and those who suffered during apartheid than the TAC was in. Mdlala-Routledge brought in some new hope by showing publicly that there were people in the government that were also against Mbeki’s denialism. Due to of all of the political aspects that affected the HIV epidemic, social unity was important because HIV was affecting so many in the population and there needed to be hope among them to continue pushing for their right of access to treatment.

Written by Amanda Masse




4 comments:

  1. Dr. Sam has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.Sam for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much, friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. Sam THANKS.

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr. Sam and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. Sam telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man a few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am nowhere to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experienced a total transformation in my life, for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has been rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all, you can contact him. (Supremecurehome@gmail.com) Website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS.
    HERPES.
    SYPHILIS.
    HEPATITIS A B and C.

    Email: Supremecurehome@gmail.com Or WhatsApp number +2347087462033

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  3. I was born HIV positive.at the age of 16 I lost my mother because of the HIV infection And I regretted why i never met Dr James who could have cured my mum for me because as a single other it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr James and his herbal exploit online about how he cured all kind of human diseases like Chronic pancreatitis, HIV/Aids Herpes, Parkinson, Asthma, Autism,Copd, Epilepsy, Shingles, Cold Sore, Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Love Spell, Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer, Glaucoma., psoriasis, Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts, Muscular degeneration, Infectious mononucleosis., Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis,
    Dementia, Breast Cancer, Blood Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Love Spell, Chronic Diarrhea, Ataxia, Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis, Weak Erection, Breast Enlargment, Penis Enlargment,Hpv, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Diabetes Hepatitis and Cancer I was so excited but frighten at the same time because I did not come across such article on the internet then I contacted Dr James on his {EMAIL drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com}. I also talked with him on {what's app +2348152855846} he tells me how it works then I told him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I received my herbal medicine within 3/4 working days and I used the herbal medicine as he prescribed for me MORNING AND NIGHT and here living healthy again can imagine how good use men to manifest h and powerful DR JAMES HERBAL MIXED MEDICINE works I'm writing this article in appreciation to thank Dr James and to let you all know there is a cure for HIV/AIDS.THANK YOU 

    ReplyDelete